Thursday, October 27, 2011

One Year Down: Looking back..

I've officially been a Navy girlfriend exactly a year, as of today! One year ago today, October 27, 2010, my boyfriend, Matt, left for bootcamp.. I still remember that day like it was yesterday!

On the day he left Springfield to go to Kansas City for MEPS before leaving for bootcamp, I went up to the recruiting office with his two best friends, Kyle & Brittany, and his dad. When I hugged him goodbye, he told me I couldn't cry yet..& I didn't! Later that day after I got out of classes, his friend Brittany & I drove the 3 hours to Kansas City and had dinner with him! We went to this amazing chinese restaurant & walked around the outdoor mall for a lil bit! When we got back to my car, I realized I had locked my keys in the car & he was pissed! We had to wait for security to open my car & he was late getting back to the hotel..I don't think he got in trouble tho! After we dropped him off, Brittany & I drove about 30 minutes & stayed with her uncle. The next morning, we went to MEPS & sat with Matt as he waited! I was a total mix of emotions! I was sad, excited, nervous, anxious, depressed..you name it, I probably felt it that day! We watched him get sworn in again & just got to sit & talk with him all day! I thought he was still mad at me about the night before but then he grabbed my hand & just held it..I wanted to cry! One thing I'll never forget is Brittany & I left & got food from Wendy's & brought it back for Matt & us..we had soooooo much food & everyone was so jealous! After lunch, we had a coupla more hours of just sitting, then they called his name. He went to go do something, then the next thing we know, he's lining up at the door! We ran over there & gave him quick hugs & thats it..I didn't even get to give him a kiss goodbye :( When I walked out to my car, he text me "kiss, kiss, goodbye I love you" & I couldnt help but tear up..but I had a 3 hour drive back to Springfield so I had to hold myself together! Once I dropped Brittany off in town, I lost it! I just started bawling & I found myself at his best friend Kyle's apartment.. The rest of the night & the next day, I was a complete mess!
This is my favorite picture of us from the night before he left for bootcamp! This was in Kansas City at Yogurtini..we were just being goofy & taking pictures & the people working there were laughing! :)

Crazy to think that was a year ago! & I just want to say that Matt & I both have come sooooo far since then! A year ago today, I didn't know how to define our relationship. A year ago today, I didn't think I could go more than like a day without talking to him. A year ago today, I didn't think I'd ever be able to go more than a week without seeing him. A year ago today, I didn't know I could ever be this proud!
Bootcamp really changed Matt for the good! He's become somewhat more mature & responsible (haha)! But most of all, he changed towards me! It was in bootcamp that Matt realized just how much he cared about me & loved me & that's when he realized he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me!!! :) Our relatipnship has done a complete 180 since he left for bootcamp a year ago!
As for me, bootcamp, and everything since then, has made me so much stronger! Yesterday I saw this quote & I put it on my facebook but it's so true.. "You never know just how strong you really are until being strong is your only option!" It is so true! I'm so much stronger than I was a year ago today! Last year when he left for bootcamp, if someone would have told me that a year from that day he would be in Japan, I probably would have freaked out! But look at me now..we're three months into his 3 year duty in Japan & while I still have my hard days, we're kickin butt! Over the last year, I've learned what's really important in a relationship. I've learned how to value each minute spent with him, each kiss, each phone calls, each message I get from him. Memories get me through the hard times, & looking forward to the future help as well! I've learned to keep busy & stay positive, even when all I wanna do is lay in bed & cry (like today)! I don't have all the answers, but I'd like to think that I'm starting to figure things out! I'm looking forward to next year, to see how far I've come even since today..

ONE YEAR DOWN.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment